Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Crayon Art

Hello all,

So part of my therapy is simply doing things I enjoy.  People with depression know that sometimes you lose interest in things you once loved.  So it's a good sign that I can once again be crafty.  And crayon art is like the poor untalented gal's way to be crafty :)  So it fits me perfectly, ha!

The first melted crayon art I ever made was inspired by Pintrest.  I learned to glue the crayons on the canvas and stood the canvas up then melted the crayons with a hair dryer.  If you have kids that need an easy craft, it doesn't get any easier than this.  But there will be a little splatter so lay down a tarp or do it outside.

Here's the first attempt.
I have always loved rainbows.
 
Which lead to this. 
 I turned the picture a quarter turn and then melted a different shade of the same color on each corner to make these.
 
 
This was Adam's.  Can you tell how particular he is?
But I do love this, it's hung up in the guest bedroom.
 
Now I wanted something for our living room.  So I worked on a new technique.  Instead of melting the crayons down the canvas, you melt parts of the crayon onto the canvas laying down.  The longer you blow dry them the more like water colors they look.
These didn't turn out to badly.  But I've always wanted to replace it with a larger painting with less of the canvas showing.
 
Which is where this came from.
This monstrosity has to be my favorite so far.  
These are the colors in our living room.   
 
And since I have free time I've done some others.
 This I created for above our stairwell, I just need Mr. Handyman to hang for me.
 
These others are just for fun.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them.
Can you tell I've been inspired by space
 (thank you DR. Who).
This reminds me of a lightening storm.

this one turned out neat

This was inspired by rocks.
 

This one was inspired by photos of the sun.  I love looking at photos taken from space.

I'm not sure what inspired this piece.  Just some crayons on a canvas :)
 
The secret to this type of melted crayon art is needle nose pliers.  I break the crayons into 3 or 4 pieces then hold a piece with the pliers and melt it with a heat gun.  The heat gun melts the crayon so much faster than a hair dryer.  Then once the piece is melted to the canvas I use the hair dryer to blow it out.  The longer you blow it out the more it looks like watercolor.  Also as you add colors they mix and start to look really neat. 
 
So let me leave you with this.  Go do something you love, and if you can't think of anything to do that would make you happy then please reach out and talk to some one.  It's not ok to be unhappy.  I spent a least a year not enjoying things, so learn from me.  Go get help if you're struggling.
 
Time to go be creative...again :)
 
God Bless
--R

1 comment:

  1. Oooooh! My favorites are the sun inspired one and the lightning storm! These are really gorgeous, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete